I decided I’d better write one last post before we go to the village tomorrow. I have to do it now, because in a little while Brian will be going down to the generator shed and will turn off the power for half the center. Our house will still have electricity, but the computer room won’t, which means no internet! You see, last night just as we were finishing dinner we got about 6 calls from people whose electricity had gone out. Brian and Clark discovered that one of the main electrical wires had burnt through, leaving about every third house on the lower part of the hill without power. It wasn’t something they could fix last night in the dark, and in fact it won’t be fixed properly until they can get parts from Lae, but they are going to try this afternoon to patch it together so that those families who were affected can have their electricity back. Of course this had to happen right before we are getting ready to leave for two weeks!
Tomorrow morning (Monday) we will load up the back of our truck bright and early, pick up Gil (who will be traveling out with us) and then drive to Imbo-Ungu land, in the
The nice thing about being able to drive to the village (hey – it’s a 7-hour drive over bumpy roads, I have to try to find something to look forward to!) is that you don’t have to worry about the weight of your cargo. When translators have to fly to their villages, they have to count every kilo of food and clothing. Our friend Joy flew out to a different language group in the
Well, I’d better finish packing. Check back in June for some stories and pictures from our time in the village!